Get to know me!

Hi, I'm Lizzie. I'm 13 years old and I have cystic fibrosis. I'm doing this blog because I'd rather get stuff off my chest and let people have a choice of reading it or not. so if you're not interested then you should probably click OFF this page now.
I'll start by telling you a little bit about me. I'm 13, I weigh 40kg and I'm about 5 ft 2. I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis (CF) when I was only 8 months old after failing a sweat test. I have a 3 sisters, 1 full sister and 2 half sisters. Although I'm the only one with CF. Until I was about 9 years old CF never really effected me, I was on normal 3 monthly Iv's (intravenous antibiotics) via a portacath and was always gaining weight (I was the chubbiest and tallest off most of my friends in primary school). When I was 10, I lost alot of weight and my Lung function was slowly deteriorating, The hospital then gave me a Gastrostomy and I have a feed via pump over night, lasting 7 hours. When I was  11 Doctors spoke to my Mum (Rachel, but I call her Razza) about going to GOS(Great Ormand street) for a lung transplant assessment, I didn't know about this at the time, as it wasn't a definite thing, but then I turned 12 and things slowly got worse and worse, my lung functions dipped below 25% and I was spending most of my time off school in bed, or in hospital. NOT how a 12 year old should be living her life.. I then got too a stage where I couldn't be bothered too do my nebulisers, my thought were 'what's the point' 'it's not kept me well so it wont make me better' and other silly things like that. Then the nurses came too my house and told me about the transplant, the Pros and Cons, Side effects ect. They then told me Transplant was COMPLETELY my decision, and if I didn't want too go along with it then I didn't have too. Of course I went to London for the assessment and they told me I was poorly, but not poorly enough (they like too get you on the transplant list at the right time) so then I went back 3 months later. This is when they decided I was probably ready to go on the transplant list, and ready for some new lungs.. so naturally my head was everywhere, me and Mum never really spoke about it, and the hospital told us too go home, talk about it as a family, then call then in a few weeks with my decision of whether or not I wanted too go ahead with the transplant.

Weeks went by and I decided transplant was the right thing for me, I went back too London in March this year, and I was put on the transplant list on my  13th birthday (16th of March). This is when I decided I needed too get my act together, and get myself as well (and fat) as I can for my transplant. The difference in me now compared too this time last year is amazing. I'm now on 6 weekly Iv's and I've gained 9kg in weight, my lung function is steady at 27%... It isn't amazing but its steady, and I intend for it too stay that way. I have now been on the transplant list for 9 months and had 1 false alarm call. Hopefully my day will come, and I will be out next summer with my best friends having a mint time with my new Lungies!
Til' next time
Liz xo

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration Lizzie. So proud of you. Nina xx

    ReplyDelete